|code: 324561||Date: 2012/06/24 - 21:23||source: PressTV|
Bahraini doctor Saeed al-Samaheeji ends four-day hunger strike
(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Saeed al-Samaheeji ended the hunger strike in the capital, Manama, on Sunday.
The Bahraini doctor said he had stopped eating to “reject and object to” the verdicts of the Bahraini court of appeals.
On June 14, the court of appeals issued prison sentences against nine doctors, including Samaheeji, over charges of involvement in demonstrations against the Al Khalifa regime.
The court also acquitted nine other medical personnel.
The 18 Bahraini medical personnel are among the 20 accused doctors and nurses from the Salmaniya Medical Complex in Manama, which was stormed by regime forces in March 2011.
Bahraini judicial sources said two other personnel from the group remain at large and they did not appeal.
The 18 medical personnel have been out on bail since September 2011.
Samaheeji said the accused medical personnel “made huge efforts to save the wounded during last year’s events.”
He made the comments at a center belonging to the main opposition group, al-Wefaq, in Manama on Sunday.
Meanwhile, al-Wefaq said an anti-regime protester injured during a demonstration in a village near Manama on June 22 remained “in critical condition” in hospital.
The Bahraini opposition group stated that Ali Mohammed al-Muwali suffered a “broken skull which was caused by a direct hit by a bullet” when he was “surrounding Sheikh Ali Salman,” the al-Wefaq leader.
Salman also sustained rubber bullet injuries “in his shoulder and back” during the June 22 demonstration in the village of Bilad al-Qadeem, about four kilometers (2.5 miles) west of the capital.
Anti-government protests continue in Bahrain despite the regime’s violent crackdown.
Bahraini demonstrators hold King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa responsible for the killing of protesters during the uprising that began in February 2011.