gency) - “Egypt is the heart of the Arab world. Therefore any political changes or sociopolitical revolutions in Egypt could occur in many other Islamic countries,” Deputy Commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said Saturday.
“This is what comes of a hegemony dependant on foreign [states] that start a dictatorial movement n their country,” Brigadier General Hossein Salami added said in an interview.
The IRGC deputy commander went on to describe the developments in Egypt as a “manifestation of the [Iran's] Islamic Revolution in the Middle East region and the world of Islam.”
The military official said Egypt had become the “geologic backrest for the Zionist regime [of Israel] as well as a geostrategic spot for backing US policies on Africa.”
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak sacked his cabinet on Friday, following days of protests.
Poverty, high unemployment rates and rampant corruption triggered protests similar to the unrest that led to the revolution in Tunisia.
Medical sources stated on Saturday that at least 100 people, including 23 protesters in the port city of Alexandria, have lost their lives in clashes with police forces across Egypt since the outbreak of the anti-government protests.
Earlier, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast urged political leaders in Egypt to listen to the “rightful demands” of their people.
He said that Tehran regarded the demonstrations as the “justice-seeking movement” by the Muslim people of the country.
End item/ 159
1. 'US passive on Mubarak sham elections'
2. Obama flip-flops on Egypt crisis
3. Palestinian detainees in Egypt make it back to Gaza
4. Hundreds of Israeli tourists evacuated from Egypt
5. Israelis fear gas crisis due to events in Egypt
6. 'Army must choose Egypt or Mubarak'
7. Clinton Calls for “Orderly Transition”, “Real Democracy” in Egypt
8. Mubarak asks new PM to boost reform, economy, anti-corruption
9. Israel to West: Stop bashing Mubarak
10. Istanbul Rally in to Support Egypt’s Revolution
11. US playing double game on Egypt
12. Israel shocked at US position dissuading repression of Egyptian protests
13. Demonstrators try to storm the Israeli embassy in Cairo: Russia Today
14. 'Million man march' called on Tuesday in Cairo
15. Mubarak visits military operations centre
16. Egyptian police ordered to return to streets
17. 'Israel provides weapons for Egypt'
18. Hosni Mubarak's family flee to London
19. Outgoing authorities in Egypt decide to end all operations of Al-Jazeera
20. Fall of Egyptian regime will accelerate end to Abbas
21. 34 Muslim brotherhood members released amid unrest in Egypt
22. Israel “Closely Monitoring” Events in Egypt
23. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian XI (PIC)
24. Tens of bodies found in Cairo
25. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian X (PIC)
26. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IX (PIC)
27. Palestinian security men deployed along border with Egypt
28. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VIII (PIC)
29. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VII (PIC)
30. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VI (PIC)
31. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian VI (PIC)
32. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian V (PIC)
33. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IV (PIC)
34. Al-Jazeera Bans by Egypt amid uprising
35. London Egypt protest shows Islamist/secular split
36. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian IV (PIC)
37. Friday Rage: Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian III (PIC)
38. Saudi king supports Mubarak's dictator regime
39. Protests endanger Palestinians held by Egypt
40. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian II (PIC)
41. Pictures of the Revolution of Egyptian I (PIC)
42. Head of US Muslim group urges US pressure on Egypt
43. Egyptians Determined to Pursue Revolution; Mubarak Names VP!
44. Rally Against Egypt President Outside UN Headquarters
45. Over 5,000 Egyptian prisoners escape
46. Iran is closely following Middle East developments
47. Abbas phones Mubarak to express solidarity
48. Israel expresses concern as protesters threaten to overthrow Mubarak
49. Students gather in front of Egypt's Interests Section in Tehran
50. Egypt Heart of the Arab World, Iranian Commander Says
51. Cleric Tells Egypt Protesters Bloodshed Banned
52. Top Sunni Cleric: Shooting to Protesters is Haram
53. Israel Monitoring Egypt Rage with Concern, Officials Ordered to Remain Silent
54. Egypt's death toll from unrest hits 95 / Photos
55. Mubarak future in doubt in the wake of Egypt turmoil (Cartoon)
56. Death toll from Egypt unrest hits 65
57. Egyptian police fire shots in Cairo
58. How the U.S. can respond to Egypt's Internet blackout
59. Unspoken Concern Over Egyptian Uprising: Control Of Suez Canal And Price Of Gas
60. Mohamed El-Baradei detained by Egyptian police
61. Egypt: Mubarak sacks cabinet and defends security role
62. Biden on Mubarak: 'I would not refer to him as a dictator.'
63. CAIR Asks Americans to Support Freedom in Egypt, Muslim World
64. Iraqi Shia Preacher describes developments in Tunisia, Egypt , Yemen as "Islamic Arab Revival"
65. The Biggest Friday Protest Rages in Egypt; 26 Killed, 900 Injured
66. Israeli embassy personnel flee Cairo
67. Violent clashes continue to rock Egypt
68. US slammed over Egypt military support
69. ElBaradei attends prayers amid uprising / Clashes in Cairo Extend Arab World’s Days of Unrest
70. 20 Egypt opposition members detained
71. Egypt clamps down on media, Intenet
72. 'Egypt deploys army to contain protests'
73. Friday Protests In Egypt Expected To Be Biggest Yet
74. Spirit of Tunisia comes to Egypt
75. Government Building Torched by Egyptian Protesters